Thursday, March 1, 2012

swording with basketball trophy

Brandon (4 years old) played Itty Bitty basketball this winter. Last Saturday the team members along with their parents met for breakfast at Chick Fil A. After everyone ate his or her breakfast, the boys received their trophies. They all got up from the table and almost in unison raised up their trophies and began have sword fights. I don't get to see Brandon with other kids very much now.( He likes to sword fight with me and my husband) I was reassured that he was not the only boy who loved to sword fight. He fights with play swords, straws, sticks, plant stakes, and the tubes inside rolls of paper. Without our knowing it,the other night he went into the closet where the wrapping paper is stored and pulled the paper off the rolls so could sword fight. Swording fighting must be in the DNA

1 comment:

  1. I remember hearing my dad say he never tried to stop us from imaginary play of any kind---even if it was using a stick as a gun---because he thought to try to stifle it would only make it desirable---and because he thought it better to play out those tendencies in fantasy rather than reality. My dad was the quintessential pacifist, yet he let us play aggressively---even joined in the play. We all turned out to be pacifists.

    ReplyDelete